Monday, February 13, 2012

Bonding with Gaya Street

Okay, let's recap the history of Gaya Street, Kota Kinabalu a.k.a Jesselton, especially those old buildings and shops which remained to be seen until today... 




Bonding with Gaya Street (10-12 February 2012)

HSBC (HONGKONG AND SHANGHAI BANKING CORPORATION)






HSBC'S HISTORY IN NORTH BORNEO : The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation opened its first office in East Malaysia, then known as North Borneo in April 1947. Located in Jesselton, North Borneo’s capital, later renamed Kota Kinabalu, the HongKong Bank office started with just a desk and two staff at two-storey wooden Harrisons and Crossfield building. Later on 1 July 1947, the bank opened its own office in a temporary wooden building with attap roofing located opposite the local fish and vegetable market. By this time the local staff had grown to nine. During World War II, Jesselton had been badly bombed by the British resulting in the town being badly damaged with nearly non-existing amenities. It is said that HSBC had played a crucial role in rehabilitating the economy of North Borneo. (Daily Express 12 February 2012)   









ATKINSON CLOCK TOWER 
Exhibition at Hotel Sixty 3 (63)






















Gaya Street Fair on every Sunday

 A Glossary
.Sunshade drawing by North Borneo History Enthusiasts.






KEDAI SINGER





 Kedai Singer has been in Gaya Street since the 1960s. The shop sells household electrical appliances through easy payment schemes. Products include TV, radio, refrigerator, washing machine, air-conditioner and smaller appliances. Appliances bought are covered by insurance. 
(Daily Express 12 February 2012)  




KEDAI GUNTING JALAN GAYA


 One of the few shops left which offer traditional haircut by barbers. Optional services : ear-de-waxing, hair-dyeing. Shop is popular with political personalities and tourists who come to have their beards or moustaches trimmed by barbers who have years of experience. The latest gossips and scandals shared and repeated among patrons make each visit an interesting occasion.
(Daily Express 12 February 2012)  


 KEDAI CERMIN MEE KWONG had been a tenant at GS since the early 1950s. This frame and glass business is owned by Mr. Chow's family. The frames are obtained mainly from West Malaysia. Besides making picture frames and mirrors the company also involved in installing glass doors and windows in residential areas.
(Daily Express 12 February 2012)  
   

 SYARIKAT ENG LEONG deals mainly in fabrics and is a towel wholesaler. Customers with time to browse may be pleasantly surprised to find "treasures" overlooked by others. The plaque to commemorate the laying of the stone of the building in 1951 by Governor Sir Ralph Hone is displayed on the wall of the shop. 
(Daily Express 12 February 2012)  

 .this is the plaque mentioned above.



 Handmade replica monument of The Resurrection of North Borneo War Memorial



TUNG NAN BOOKSTORE


 Tung Nan Bookstore was established by retired  teachers in 1952 and is the oldest book store in KK. It sells school text books, reprints of old books on Sabah and Sarawak and sports equipment.


Exhibition at Linatasan Deasoka






MANDARIN HOTEL 








 .displayed the TIMELINE UP TO THE FORMATION OF MALAYSIA.


Back to Lintasan Deasoka exhibition











KEDAI KOPI SEN CHONG WAH














 .Sunday view of Gaya Street fair. 


KEDAI JAM DAN KACA MATA FOH CHEONG


















Australian Place Landscape
.Sunshade drawing by SRS Simon Fung. 

Old Welfare Building (Graffiti Corner )

More info of Bonding with Gaya Street.. 

Enjoy..:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment